Last Words

The Mother called the sisters to her and spoke to them words of comfort and advice: “My beloved children, why are your hearts troubled like people of little faith? You know just like me that I shall not be relived for this illness. If it is the will of the heavenly Bridegroom that I leave you very soon in answer to his invitation. Let it be fulfilled. Our congregation is still an infant. You should not forget that it is your personal responsibility as members of this congregation to foster and rear it. Deal with the superiors sincerely and lovingly. Love one another, help one another”

On the morning of June 8, 1926 she was still conscious and gave her blessing to everybody around her. As the day advanced, her condition worsened and became more and more critical. At her own request, she was laid on the floor on a mat, while her spiritual father and sisters knelt down and prayed for her. She kept repeating the ejaculatory prayer “Jesus, Mary, Joseph, I entrust my heart and my body into your loving hands.” The soul left for the heavenly abode at 10 pm in the presence of her Spiritual Father.

Birth of Congregation of Holy Family

On May 13, 1914, Rev.Dr.John Menachery, Bishop of Trichur visited Mariam Thresia’s hermitage. The Bishop was satisfied with the four inmates and their ways of life. In consultation with Father Joseph Vithayathil, the Bishop decided to convert the Ekanta Bhavan to a new congregation of the Holy Family and soon made canonical erection of the same.

On May 14, 1914, in the presence of Fr.Joseph Vithayathil, many other priests and parishioners gathered at Puthenchira. Bishop John Menachery proclaimed officially the establishment of the Congregation of Holy Family (CHF).

The Bishop appointed Sr.Mariam Thresia as the Mother superior of the new congregation and nominated Father Vithayathil as chaplain.

Mother Mariam Thresia and 3 postulants followed the new rule very scrupulously. As the community had no assets, the superior had to find ways and means of maintaining it. Father Vithayathil wrote in his diary “When food was very scarce and no help came from the people, she would pray fervently to God. St. Joseph would bring food and leave the needed money in her box, sometimes under the mat on which she slept or sometimes in her hand.

Mother Mariam Thresia now had to suffer even more at the hands of the demons, though with less frequency than in the ten years of ordeals from 1903 to 1913.